We all like getting gifts, right? It’s hard to find someone who doesn’t like a good gift every now and then. If you are looking for a good gift to get that special BBQ guru in your family, then let me offer some suggestions sure to make that special person happy:
1. BBQ SAUCES AND RUBS
We all like trying new sauces and rubs. Sometimes we find ones that may be good for everyday grilling, and sometimes we find those special combinations that bring home the trophies and checks at competitions. Below are several of my recommendations on excellent sauces and rubs:
- Draper’s BBQ – offers both rubs and sauces, along with gift packages in their online store
- C-Dub’s BBQ Rub – all-natural and organic BBQ rubs
- Willie’s Hog Dust – I can personally vouch for this stuff; it’s top notch!
- Big Butz BBQ Sauce – multiple varieties of BBQ sauce in the heart of Wisconsin.
2. BBQ TOOLS / KNIVES
While a great cook may have innate talent, it definitely helps to have some good tools. While there are literally hundreds and probably thousands of different tools out on the market, these stand out:
- Pig Tail Food Flipper – this nifty tool allows your favorite outdoor cook to quickly and easily handle meat on the grill or other outdoor cooker without significant marking.
- Bear Paws – probably the most well-known tool for pulling pork. These are great!
- Guy Fieri Knuckle Sandwich 5 1/2″ knife – with a serrated blade and fork prongs on the tip, this was designed for slicing or trimming smaller cuts of meat and other food.
- GrillStar BBQ Timer & Guide – I’ll echo the sentiments of Larry Gaian (The BBQ Grail). This is, quite simply, the best $0.99 grilling app available on the market!
3. BBQ BOOKS
Yeah I know what you’re thinking… “I didn’t know BBQ people could read!” Well we can, although most of the time we keep the subject of our reading to all things BBQ and grilling. There are many books out there, but these stand out:
- Peace, Love, and Barbecue – written by Mike Mills and Amy Mills Tunnicliffe, this book gives a rarely-seen behind-the-scenes perspective into the world of barbecue as seen by a world champion pitmaster. This book is one of my all-time favorites.
- Ribs, Chops, Steaks, & Wings – this offering by Dr. BBQ himself divulges multiple recipes to allow one’s palate to slightly deviate from your typical grilling faire.
- Grilling America – Rick Browne not only offers up over 150 tasty recipes, but he also takes us around the country checking out some of the most colorful BBQ festivals around.
4. Competition Supplies
This one sort of took me by surprise. However, after thinking about it, I can see how the serious caterer or competitive pitmaster would greatly appreciate these items. Good quality cutting boards, and heat-resistant gloves seem to be in high demand.
5. Miscellaneous fun stuff
This one is kind of wide open. It just really depends on what that special someone likes. With ideas from quality coolers to music box sets to gift cards, this one is really wide open! Who knows, maybe you event want to give them cologne to help out that mood…
Now I’m very interested in hearing your ideas! Let me know your top 5 gifts for the BBQer in your family for under $50.