Fall has arrived! Cooler temperatures are here, but that doesn’t mean the end of BBQ for this year. In fact, it continues on stronger. Here are some tidbits to keep you occupied while you cheer your team on to victory!
- Southern Soul Barbeque is teaming up with Kevin’s BBQ Joints to give three lucky winners a four-pack of their small batch craft BBQ sauce. Contest information can be found here.
- Check out this tasty sounding recipe for Smoked Mac ‘n Cheese published on BBQ Smoker Site, courtesy of Hanneke Eerden of The Dutchess Cooks!
- With the weather cooling off, chili is becoming the meal of choice. Check out this chili recipe published courtesy of Lea Richards of Pig of the Month BBQ.
- Here’s an article about the Biker, Blues, & BBQ Festival as well as a recap of the contest written by Cyndi Allison.
Enjoy! Let me know if I missed something noteworthy that should go on here.
Here is some good reading for you for this Labor Day Weekend!
- In case you’ve been hiding under a rock somewhere, the draw has taken place for the Jack Daniels 23rd Annual World Championship Invitational BBQ. BBQ Backyard has posted a list of the qualifiers. Congrats to all who were selected!
- I normally don’t post reviews to a review of a cleaner, but wait until you see what Cyndi Allison is cleaning…
- Check out this great interview from Grilling With Rich with Shane Draper, one of the up-and-coming superstars on the BBQ circuit.
- If you’re not sure how to trim that big rack of spare ribs down to a St. Louis style cut, check out this video from Nibble Me This.
- And finally, here is a first-person perspective from Kevin Sandridge of The BBQ Smoker Site on what it was like to judge a Sam’s Club regional.
Geez, it’s been hot! Hope you’re all staying cool. Here are a few links to check out to keep you out of this ridiculously hot and steamy weather:
- Robyn Medlin Lindars (affectionately known as GrillGrrrl) explains what the big deal is about the reverse sear with this recipe.
- Paul Height of No Excuses BBQ cooks up some beautiful ribs, now that he has plenty of time to do so.
- Two of my favorite people are tag teaming to run a contest. Check out this blog post on how you can enter to win a really sweet Draper’s BBQ gift set courtesy of Kevin’s BBQ Joints.
- And to toot my own horn, I survived my first pseudo-catering gig…
As you get ready to watch the Women’s World Cup final, take a few minutes and check out these interesting articles:
- Check out how our neighbors to the north of us do KCBS competitions, courtesy of this in-depth blog by Wilfred Reinke.
- We should all follow in the footsteps of the BBQ Grail and just say no to Subway’s BBQ pulled pork sub.
- Check out this post by Robyn Medlin Lindars (also known as Grill Grrrl — yes, that’s with 3 r’s) about how to do it cave man style… grilling steaks, that is.
- Wiener Schnitzel? Yes, please! This recipe is a guest post on The Dutchess Cooks courtesy of Doug and Biggi Francis of Hogs Gone Wild BBQ.
- What has the mad scientist/wizard of sauce Tom Porter of Big Butz BBQ Sauce been up to lately? Check out his latest escapades here.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Whew! It’s a hot one here in the Carolinas here this weekend. Hope all of you being hit with the heat are staying cool and hydrated. If not, take a few minutes, cool off, and check out some of these stories…
- What are some of the great truths about BBQ? Add yours to this blog post courtesy of Larry Gaian. Who knows, if it’s good enough, you may get a prize…
- My wife pointed me to this really good article on the Charlotte Observer website this morning that talks about some of the NC BBQ joints that still cook the old-fashioned way.
- Some time back, I wrote a small piece on why members of the BBQ community should embrace social media. Here is a great piece by Kevin Kelly outlining four different tips to maximize social media presence.
- The crazy folks at BarBQBoozers got Gary Glen on board for a guest blog post about beef short ribs. Now I’m getting hungry!
- Tired of screwing up a good boneless pork chop on the grill? Check out this easy-to-follow article from Cyndi Allison on how to grill perfect chops every time!
Posted in Best Of, Just For Fun
Tagged barbecue, BarBQBoozers, BBQ, BBQ Grail, beef short ribs, best of, Charlotte NC, Cyndi Allison, NC BBQ Joints, North Carolina, pork chops
With the weekend coming to a close, here are a few must-read items from this past week as it pertains to the world of BBQ and grilling…
- Check out this guest post for Huck’s Hut written by Doug Francis of Hogs Gone Wild BBQ on how to conquer that bane of every BBQ competition team’s existance: chicken.
- Jamaican Me Pineapple Burgers, you say? YA MON! BarBQBoozers shows you how!
- Kevin Sandridge of The BBQ Smoker Site is running a series on 4th of July BBQ Recipes written by guest bloggers. Of particular interest is this recipe for cherry smoked Atlantic salmon written by Shane Draper of Draper’s BBQ.
- And finally, this one time, at bacon camp…
Also, don’t forget about all the contests and giveaways galore that are running right now! A list can be found here. If I missed a giveaway, please let me know.
Posted in Best Of, Contests, Just For Fun
Tagged barbecue, BarBQBoozers, BBQ, BBQ Smoker Site, burgers, Chicken, Draper's BBQ, Hogs Gone Wild BBQ, salmon
Happy Father’s Day to all you fathers and fathers-to-be out there! It’s a late night “Best Of” post for this week since my wife and I just returned home from the beach about 2 hours ago. Let’s see what happened this week…
- Grilling with Rich gets an interview with Chris Lilly — vice president of Big Bob Gibson BBQ, head of the competition team that won the 2011 Memphis in May World Barbecue Championship, and all around BBQ legend.
- So did Tom Porter of Big Butz BBQ Sauce survive his first KCBS competition? Check out the results in his own words here as well as the aftermath.
- Looking for tips on how to make that perfect “putting green” competition turn-in box? Check out this great how-to article from DivaQ!
- Baked beans with my BBQ? Why I believe I will! Check out this guest post on The BBQ Smoker Site written by Paul Haight of No Excuses BBQ.
- And finally, Robyn Medlin Lindars (aka GrillGrrrl) shows us some tasty wings using Draper’s BBQ Sauce and rub..
Posted in Best Of, Just For Fun
Tagged baked beans, barbecue, BBQ, BBQ rubs, BBQ sauce, Big Bob Gibson BBQ, Big Butz BBQ Sauce, DivaQ, Draper's BBQ, GrillGrrrl, Grilling with Rich, No Excuses BBQ, recipes
Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! While you are all out firing up your grills, smokers, or outdoor cookers, check out these few links that made this week’s “Best Of” cut:
- I know many of you watched the Ultimate BBQ Showdown yesterday on CBS. Even so, check out this great piece by Danielle Dimovsky of DivaQ about the show. In my opinion, best post I’ve seen about the show so far.
- Plank grilling — it’s not just for fish anymore. Larry Gaian (The BBQ Grail) has a series of topics covering the many different things you can cook using plank grilling. From chicken to mashed potatoes and even brie cheese with watermelon rind chutney, he shows that there are really no limits! To view the entire series, check out his site at http://www.thebbqgrail.com.
- Did someone say rotisserie roast beef? Check out this tasty sounding recipe from Grilling Companion.
- If you are in Ontario and have a craving for ribs, then you need to check out Wilfred Reinke’s post regarding the schedule for various RibFests in Ontario for 2011.
- And finally… watch out, world! Tom Porter is on the loose! The mad scientist behind Big Butz BBQ Sauce is getting ready for his first KCBS competition. I wish him the best of luck! He has blogged about his first three days in preparation so far here, here, and here. Continue to follow his blog at http://www.bigbutzbbqsauce.net for more updates.
Posted in Best Of, Just For Fun
Tagged barbecue, BBQ, BBQ Grail, Big Butz BBQ Sauce, DivaQ, Grilling Companion, Oshawa Ogre, plank cooking, rotisserie roast, weekly posts
My apologies for not posting this last Sunday. I had to work, and I posted a restaurant review instead. Let’s see what the past week had to offer us…
- Recap the adventures of Robyn Medlin Lindars (aka Grill Grrrl) and her escapades at Memphis in May here and here. Look for the coleslaw trophy — it’s one of a kind!
- Check out this positive review from Larry Gaian (The BBQ Grail) of the GrillStar iPhone app. I can vouch for this app’s usefulness and hope to have a review posted this week.
- Like beef? Like bourbon? Well how about beef and bourbon? Impossible, you say? Fret not! Check out this recipe from BarBQBoozers.com.
- Finally, check out this interview with Charles and Allegra Wilson at the USA Barbecue Championship in Las Vegas. You know Charles and Allegra better as C-Dub’s BBQ Rub.
Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time once again for this week’s “Best Of” in the world of BBQ and food!
- What do you get when you combine bourbon and ice cream? You get Hanneke Eerden (of The Dutchess Cooks) whipping up another dessert creation! Now I’m craving ice cream!
- The guys at Epic Meal Time are at it again. Three words: fast food lasagna.
- Larry at the BBQ Grail brings us spam sushi! Yes, I said it. Spam. Sushi.
- Finally, if you’re a fan of Pork Barrel BBQ sauce and live in the Mid-Atlantic region (Virginia/Maryland), you’re in luck! Pork Barrel BBQ sauce is now being sold in Costco stores in that region. Find out more details here.