Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! While you are all out firing up your grills, smokers, or outdoor cookers, check out these few links that made this week’s “Best Of” cut:
- I know many of you watched the Ultimate BBQ Showdown yesterday on CBS. Even so, check out this great piece by Danielle Dimovsky of DivaQ about the show. In my opinion, best post I’ve seen about the show so far.
- Plank grilling — it’s not just for fish anymore. Larry Gaian (The BBQ Grail) has a series of topics covering the many different things you can cook using plank grilling. From chicken to mashed potatoes and even brie cheese with watermelon rind chutney, he shows that there are really no limits! To view the entire series, check out his site at http://www.thebbqgrail.com.
- Did someone say rotisserie roast beef? Check out this tasty sounding recipe from Grilling Companion.
- If you are in Ontario and have a craving for ribs, then you need to check out Wilfred Reinke’s post regarding the schedule for various RibFests in Ontario for 2011.
- And finally… watch out, world! Tom Porter is on the loose! The mad scientist behind Big Butz BBQ Sauce is getting ready for his first KCBS competition. I wish him the best of luck! He has blogged about his first three days in preparation so far here, here, and here. Continue to follow his blog at http://www.bigbutzbbqsauce.net for more updates.
Posted in Best Of, Just For Fun
Tagged barbecue, BBQ, BBQ Grail, Big Butz BBQ Sauce, DivaQ, Grilling Companion, Oshawa Ogre, plank cooking, rotisserie roast, weekly posts
After a long hiatus, the “Best Of” has made its return. I know you all missed it terribly (*grin*). So without a further ado, here’s this week’s “Best Of”:
- The Mad Scientist and Wizard of Sauce is at it again! Tom Porter of Big Butz BBQ gets in touch with his entomological side in creating the Fattipillar.
- Canadian BBQ blogger Wilfred Reinke tells us about his experience of cooking a pork shoulder in his Masterbuilt smoker. Oh yeah, he got to play with power tools too.
- If you wondered if your favorite BBQ joint was on Twitter, chances are good that Kevin Kelly of Kevin’s BBQ Joints has already found ’em. Click here to see the definitive list.
- Been unsure about how to spatchcock a chicken? I was too, until Larry Gaian published a great how-to article on splitting that bird.
And for the dose of funny, here is a commercial outlining when it’s a good time to get a new bed…
Hope your weekend has gone well! Here are items that made my list of “stuff to read from last week”:
- Wilfred Reinke tells us about his experience at Southern Soul Barbecue (and makes quite a few of us jealous in the process).
- The owners of Bridges Barbecue Lodge in Shelby, NC, extended an invitation to the Obamas for some BBQ. If the place is as good as advertised, the Obamas should take them up on the invitation.
- The Cookstons list out the Top 10 Reasons to Cook Competitively. Can’t argue with any of their reasons.
- Don’t forget to vote for my buddy Lionel in the Kingsford University contest. Info can be found here.
- And finally… guys, watch the video below for tips on what you can do for your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day.
Here are some articles/links I highly recommend checking out:
- My good friends at C-Dubs BBQ Rub just got their new toy. Check out their first adventures with their smoker here and here.
- Yazoo’s Delta Q gives the skinny on the fattie here.
- BBQ and grilling expert Cyndi Allison explains in this post why the Obamas should travel a little further in either direction past Charlotte on I-85 for good BBQ when the Democratic National Convention comes to Charlotte in 2012.
- Don’t forget about the free giveaway of some awesome BBQ Gear by Southern Soul BBQ being brought to you by Kevin’s BBQ Joints. Details on the giveaway can be found here.
- And, oh yeah… there’s a football game on Sunday night.
Posted in Best Of, Just For Fun
Tagged barbecue, BBQ, best of, C-Dubs BBQ Rub, Charlotte NC, Democratic National Convention, fatty, Kevin's BBQ Joints, Obama, sausage, Southern Soul BBQ, weekly posts
Here are my picks for the “best of” from the previous week:
I’ve decided on Sundays to peruse through the blogs I follow and come up with a “Best of” for the previous week. So without delay, here is my pick for “best of” posts for this past week:
Do you know of any BBQ-related or grilling-related blogs I need to follow? You can let me know by leaving a comment below or by sending me a message.